Nikon has released firmware updates for the D810 and D810A.
The D810 “C” firmware can be upgraded directly from version 1.00 to version 1.11 with no adverse effects. While updating to this version reduces the bright spots customers have noticed in long exposures, it does require that an imaging adjustment be performed by a Nikon-authorized service representative.
This update also reduces the bright spots that have been noted in photographs taken with 1.2× selected for image area.
Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.02 to 1.10
• An External recording control option has been added to the HDMI item in the SETUP MENU. If the camera is connected via HDMI to a third-party recorder that supports the Atomos Open Protocol (the Atomos SHOGUN, NINJA2, or NINJA BLADE), selecting On allows camera controls to be used to start and stop recording. More information is available in a supplementary manual.Note: Choose an option other than 576p (progressive) or 480p (progressive) for HDMI > Output resolution in theSETUP MENU.
• Fixed the following issues:
– Incorrect distances were shown in the camera playback info display for photographs taken with an optional flash unit in distance-priority manual (GN) mode.
– The brightness of the live view photography display would not change when a command dial was rotated to adjust exposure compensation with On (Auto reset) selected for b Metering/exposure > b4 Easy exposure compensation > Easy exposure compensation in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU.
– Although the preview button would stop the lens down to maximum aperture when assigned the Preview role, the maximum aperture indicator would not appear in the monitor.
– In rare cases, the shutter would not be released when the user attempted to take photographs in movie live view.
– About 4 seconds of static could be heard on audio recorded with external HDMI recorders during movie live view.
– The shutter speed, aperture, and ISO sensitivity displayed in the monitor during movie live view would differ from values in the final movie file.
– Volume could sometimes not be adjusted if movies were played with indicators hidden during full-frame playback (None (image only)).
– Exposure compensation would fail to produce the desired results if a negative value was selected when NEF (RAW) images were processed using the NEF (RAW) processing option in the RETOUCH MENU.
– Images would in rare cases fail to record correctly with HDR (high dynamic range) selected in the SHOOTING MENU.
– If On was selected for Exposure smoothing during interval timer photography, every frame after the first would be overexposed.
– File numbers were not assigned in the proper sequence.
– In some languages, characters or parts of characters would be missing from the SETUP MENU > Location data > Positiondisplay.
– In some languages, characters or parts of characters would be missing from the SETUP MENU > AF fine-tune > List saved values display.
• Some help text has been changed.
Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.01 to 1.02
• Fixed issue with display that occurred if playback zoom was used during image review while the memory card access lamp was lit.
• Fixed issues with the menu and other displays in the camera monitor and on the television when 4K TVs were connected via HDMI.
• Reduced the noise that could sometimes be heard when an option other than Off was selected for d1 Beep in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU.
Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.00 to 1.01
• Reduced the occurrence of bright spots in photographs taken with 1.2× selected for image area.
The Nikon D810A firmware update has the following corrections:
Fixed an issue that sometimes caused the camera to stop responding when attached to a WR‑R10 wireless remote controller running firmware version 3.00.
D810A “C” Firmware Version 1.01
Supported camera firmware versions
“C” firmware version 1.00
Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
Microsoft Windows 8.1
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Microsoft Windows Vista Business
Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
Note: Card reader or computer with built-in memory-card slot required.
You can find out more information on the firmware updates and download them at the following links: